If you have a bathtub that you rarely use, you may be considering converting it to a shower. This can be a great way to update your bathroom and make it more accessible and functional.
Benefits of Converting a Bathtub to a Shower
There are many benefits to converting a bathtub to a shower, including:
- Increased accessibility: Showers are easier to get in and out of than bathtubs, making them a great option for people with mobility issues or seniors.
- More space: Showers typically take up less space than bathtubs, which can free up space for other bathroom fixtures or storage.
- Water savings: Showers typically use less water than bathtubs, which can save you money on your water bill.
- Style: Showers are available in a variety of styles to match any bathroom décor.
Types of Tub-to-Shower Conversions
There are two main types of tub-to-shower conversions: prefabricated and custom.
- Prefabricated conversions: Prefabricated conversions are the most affordable and easiest to install. They come in a variety of sizes and styles, and can be installed in a day or two.
- Custom conversions: Custom conversions are more expensive than prefabricated conversions, but they offer more flexibility in terms of design and features. Custom conversions can also be adapted to fit any bathroom space.
How to Convert a Bathtub to a Shower
The steps involved in converting a bathtub to a shower will vary depending on the type of conversion you choose. However, the general process is as follows:
- Remove the bathtub: The first step is to remove the bathtub. This can be done by prying it out with a crowbar or by using a bathtub removal tool.
- Prepare the shower space: Once the bathtub is removed, you will need to prepare the shower space. This may involve making changes to the plumbing, installing a shower pan, and building a shower enclosure.
- Install the shower fixtures: Once the shower enclosure is in place, you can install the shower fixtures, such as the showerhead, faucet, and grab bars.
- Test the shower: Once the shower fixtures are installed, you should test the shower to make sure that everything is working properly.
Cost of Converting a Bathtub to a Shower
The cost of converting a bathtub to a shower will vary depending on the type of conversion you choose, the size of your bathroom, and the materials you select. However, you can expect to pay anywhere from $1,000 to $8,000 for a tub-to-shower conversion.
Converting a bathtub to a shower can be a great way to update your bathroom and make it more accessible, functional, and stylish. There are two main types of tub-to-shower conversions: prefabricated and custom. The cost of converting a bathtub to a shower will vary depending on the type of conversion you choose, the size of your bathroom, and the materials you select.
If you are considering converting a bathtub to a shower, be sure to do your research and compare quotes from multiple contractors before you make a decision.